Saturday 9 October 2021

The Cause of My Happiness

Earlier on during my morning run, I felt the feeling of joy sweeping all over my body. I thought about how happy I was, which left me wondering what could be the cause of so much joy!

Back in varsity, we would flatter each other around as girls exclaiming how the other one was glowing. It would be followed up by the question, "So, who's the guy?" Coming to think of it now, I think we give these guys too much credit! I have a boyfriend now and I've seen him flirt with girls in front of me- there's no possible way that he could be the cause of my happiness. I've seen my best friend being annoyed with me. I've seen my sister being irritated at me. I've seen colleagues going the extra mile trying to inflict pain to me. I've seen people I considered dearly as friends trying by all means to bring me down with their words. Let's not even go there with my parents! I've also had my fair share in hurting, disappointing and inflicting pain onto others. This just goes to show how fallible we are as human beings. It's absurd to think that people are the cause of our happiness.

I have a list of the things that make me happy.


1. My connection with God. Each morning, rain or sunshine, winter or summer, load shedding or not, I get up at 4:00 am to read my Bible and pray. This time of my day is so divine I'm always left in awe! During the day when I experience challenges, I often meditate on the verses I read that morning which empowers me. "...Be of good cheer, I have overcome the world"..."Set your mind on things above..." , "...I'm seated in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus", "I'm confident that I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living!" Recalling God's promises always activates that joy inside of me.


2. Positive affirmations. Listening to and writing out my own affirmations helps me see beyond my circumstances. My reality is not what happens in my external world but what happens internally. This is what gives me joy; knowing that it's my own thoughts and words that create my reality. Having this power creates my happiness. 

3. Challenging myself. I've discovered that when I'm courageous enough to do something that helps me overcome my fear on a daily basis it helps me be happy and gain confidence. Walking, trying out different routes and greeting people is one of the ways I challenge myself to overcome fear. I've looked for recycling material in garbage bins, I've cycled to work, I've enrolled in obstacle courses, I've gone ice-skating, I've gone hiking all by my self. All these and more have helped me overcome my fears and made me come out on the other side more confident, powerful and happier. 

4. Reading Books. Besides reading for inspiration and motivation, I also read books that help me understand how my brain functions. In one of the books by Dr. Daniel Amen, I discovered a supplement which promotes my mood and helps balance the neaurotransmitters in my brain. It's called S-adenosylmethionine (SAM-e). Taking SAM-e each morning on an empty stomach helps me react less negatively to seemingly stressful situations throughout the day. Responding in a calm manner to stressful situations prevents sleepless nights,overthinking, replaying scenarios over and over, worrying or being angry- which ultimately robs one of their joy.

5. Being authentic and living my truth. This by far has been the most challenging because unlike doing it all by myself, it affects the people around me. "It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us." I've seen my light shine so brightly as I live authentically. However, this light has somehow frightened those around me. Overcoming this obstacle on a daily basis produces so much joy in me. It was in those moments of exclusion and separation that I learned to depend on my own inner strength and be anchored in God, who is the Source of my happiness. It was in those moments of hate, gossip and false accusations where I learned to stop fearing living an authentic life. I've learned that they will talk, but overcoming all that has made me an even happier person. It's a paradox, the hate has fueled my happiness.

Being happy is a wierd concept in this day and age- perhaps that's why I was eager to find out why in the world was I feeling such intense happiness during my run! We have become so accustomed to fear, survival, threats that we sabotage our joy. Apparently happiness is actually our normal state of being. It's just been tainted by the circumstances that we've faced. I have faced difficulties just like everyone else, and I know that I will encounter difficulties in my life's journey. However, I've made a decsion that my challenges will just be a stepping stone to my growth and greatness! 



I've decided that regardless of what goes on around me; I get to be and feel abundant, wise, peaceful, joyful, free, content, beautiful, confident, light, harmonious, blessed, succesful, full of faith, irreplaceable and enough! 

2 comments:

  1. Indeed happiness is a normal state of this life. Choosing it consciously is the best decision one can make.

    ReplyDelete