Friday 8 March 2013

Working on your character 6: Consistency



Pastor At has started preaching a series on relationships, staying committed to the relationships you have involved yourself in! Well, as usual, it came at the right time for me! As most people grow in relationships, they get used to them and sadly, eventually outgrow their relationships! Pastor At likes making an example on married couples! On their wedding day it’s all good and two years down the line, when the wedding is over and the real marriage begins, people quit, forgetting their vowels and commitment to their spouse! As soon as couples gets familiar with each other they no longer go the extra mile to impress the person that they had fallen in love with many years ago, instead they give them less attention, don’t care about their feelings anymore, don’t try to look good for them anymore, they would rather go out there and look for a new relationship to commit themselves to! When they’re tired of that relationship, they jump to another one and that becomes a viscous cycle where hearts are broken because of broken promises! 

How I keep my commitment to the Lord

Since I don’t have a spouse yet, I have fully committed my heart to God as His pure and acceptable bride! He is the husband that I am trying to please and always try to put a smile on His face! And you know, the fire is not always there! Sometimes I get irritated at how certain things happen, sometimes I want to blame Him for the wrongs, sometimes I just scream and question Him, but at the end of the day I have committed my life to Him and I cannot back down now on my commitment! When the fire runs out I implement strategies on how I can bring it alive again! God’s love never runs dry; He’s always loving me and awaits me on my side to meet Him half way by loving Him back! I go back to the memories of the chilly autumn season when I first encountered Him; I was so desperate to know Him more so I read my Word much often! I faced much temptation and hardships so I prayed and fasted a lot! I enjoyed praising and worshiping Him so I met with other believers and went to church all the time! This new venture was just so exciting! Now what happens when everything becomes monotonous?  When going to church and listening to the same pastor, singing the same old worship songs, sitting on the same old seat becomes a bore? Everything certainly reaches a climax and steadily drops down and that’s where your effort is needed to maintain consistency! I fast! Fasting reminds me that I constantly need to die daily to my flesh, the lust, the pride, the envy and the likes! Fasting reminds me that no matter how much of a dreamer I am, God still has dominion over my dreams and the focus should not shift away from Him in the pursuit of my dreams! (I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. John 15:5-6).  I still set up my appointments with Him in the middle of the night because I am still desperate to experience Him as I did in the early months of our relationship! I strive to show Him that no dream, no vision, no talent, no fame will ever take His place in my heart! I still cry out to Him like a baby who needs to be fed, like a sheep that is wounded and needs a Shepherd’s healing hands! I don’t take anything that He does for granted, he stills takes me by surprises with the small stuff, so my praise never runs out! The most important thing that I do is re-commit my life to Him each morning understanding that yesterday’s grace and glory is gone! Yesterday’s well has dried up and I am in need of clean living waters for a today! (The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases! His mercies never shall come to an end! They are new every morning, great is thy faithfulness! Lamentations3:22-23)

How I keep myself committed to the pursuit of my dream


It’s always so exciting to discover that you were born for a purpose and you actually acquire the potential to live a purpose filled life! I remember months back when I first got the idea to write a book, it was so exciting that I could not even sleep! I wrote consistently for ten consecutive days and on the eleventh day…? Well on the eleventh day my enthusiasm dropped! It seemed as if it was going to take longer to finish and get this book published than I had expected! (Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:1-2). When Jesus came to earth to fulfil his mission it didn’t just happen instantly! He had to endure those low points of persecution and even those high points when he performed miracles, it was a journey! (Are you a quitter, camper, or a climber? Pastor At). I wanted to quit on my great idea  of writing a book, and finally when I got the fire to continue, I didn’t want to climb higher! But fortunately, I was reminded that it is a journey that is should endure with faith, perseverance, and commitment!

I also remember when I was so excited about joining the choir at church; I was like a maniac on a mission! No weather, financial crisis, or emotional trauma could prevent me from chasing my dream! Weeks after the excitement drops because now I have to beg people to give me a lift after practice, I have to stand all night rehearsing the same songs! And I ask God, can’t I just quit and I will do this when I have a car, or when circumstances are a bit right? I feel guilty for wanting to quit but God does not condemn me at all! He loves me whether I go to practice or not! But He lovingly reminds me: Remember those first few weeks when you were tired yet got up? Remember how much money you spent on transport on that day? Remember how wet you were when you were running in the rain to chase your dream? If that was all in vain, it is okay with me, I still love you! See, when you commit yourself to something you lay a foundation and every time you work at it becomes like a high building! Giving up is easy, try something challenging like working hard to keep your commitment! People want a "high" for a moment forgetting that it takes dedication to keep the high! (Go up to the mountain, and bring wood, and build the house; and I will take pleasure in it, and I will be glorified, saith the Lord. Haggai 1:8). God is telling you go out there and bring whatever it is that can help you build your destiny! If you work rather than giving up, God will take pleasure in your work and He will be glorified! What is more important is finishing what you have begun! God says in Haggai 2:19… “From this day, I will bless you!” From the day you start having a serious dedication to your commitments, God will bless you! Are you committed to your relationships, your church, your work or studies, your dreams! Most importantly, are you committed to the Man who gives all this, Jesus Christ?

Me and the music directer of CRC last night at the choir, Tshidi 
 It always feels good to do the right thing even when you don't feel like doing it! The fruit of staying true to your commitment will manifest someday! Don't give up!

"Like the woman with the issue of blood, I press in, I press in! Suddenly a touch from heaven, Jesus came and rescued me!" CRC song


1 comment:

  1. "The most important thing that I do is re-commit my life to Him each morning understanding that yesterday’s grace and glory is gone! Yesterday’s well has dried up and I am in need of clean living waters for a today! (The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases! His mercies never shall come to an end! They are new every morning, great is thy faithfulness! Lamentations3:22-23)" this is something I will take with me and remember each every day..thank u

    ReplyDelete