Sunday 15 April 2018

Celebrating my birth in Christ (Six Years)


Celebrating six years in the Lord today…what significance does this hold?  I had a chat about this with my friend the other day and she said that she doesn’t publicize her new birth in Christ because perhaps her years in the Lord does not represent spiritual maturity. Her opinion is highly respected and it prompted me to examine my motives for celebrating this day. Is it about the cake? Pride perhaps? Attention from social media? The need to get approval from the number of likes on Facebook? As I went through self-examination I knew that it was more of a childlike joy- of giving thanks to Our Savior for changing my legacy and that of my children. There are often no words to express or actions to take that  shows  the gratitude in my heart for all that God has done and continues to do for me. My life started out as a joke, as something to be played and experimented with but Jesus took me seriously! So even though I make cakes and seem childish, this day holds a greater significance than one could ever imagine.

Today I’m overcome with abundant joy as I reflect upon the past year. God taught me to fight. Through hardships and failure I learned not to give up in my pursuit of seeking God’s call for my life; constantly striving to pull away from what I’ve always known. I recall the days when I exposed my weaknesses and fear had a tight grip on me. I’ve had to fight through many doubtful days…uncertainties…failure. At some point we have to get to a point where we are given an ultimatum just as Joshua did the Israelite's, “But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve…” (Joshua 24:15). I have made my choice as Joshua did- “as for me and my house we will serve the Lord!” It’s easy to say this as my spirits are high at the moment, but I am prepared for those hard days of uncertainty where faith is tested because I know they’re coming. And I’ll hold fast to my confession.

I’ve come too far to give up now, to give up on the call of God on my life. I am still trying to figure it out, all I know is that a golden legacy lies on the other side of total surrender to the Lord. I am aware that it might not be a comfortable lifestyle, it might be hard work and suffering but I’ve resolved to do the will of God whatever it takes.  Joel 3:9 encourages us to fight for what we stand for, “Proclaim this among the nations: Prepare for war! Rouse the warriors! Let all the fighting men draw near and attack.” Living for Jesus is a battleground and we are going to have to fight resisting the enemy and not settling for mediocrity. Hardships and temptations don’t typically go away because we wish them to; we have to fight with all tenacity in prayer and in choosing to do God’s will over our desires. This is the narrow path that makes all the difference.

Today is also an appropriate day to speak of God’s mercy and grace for us all. We often get off-track but we keep coming back. Our hope lies not in our shortcomings but in the vision God has for us collectively and individually. By His mercy we are able to get up and try again. We do not yield, we do not quit. We give way for God’s purposes to be established and for the generation that will benefit from the fruit of our obedience to the Lord. I do not know what the future holds, but I am hopeful and extremely optimistic because I know the One who holds my future.






Thank You so much Jesus for saving me! What I am You made me.What I have, You gave me. Where I am You brought me! What I know You taught me! May I never lose my wonder.


No comments:

Post a Comment