Tuesday 26 March 2013

The Deception of Sin



I was in in Johannesburg for a couple of days two days back. My plan was not to stay longer than a day but I had to because of circumstances beyond my control. I love Jo’burg but I’d like to think that it’s not an ideal place for me. A lot happened while still schooling there, everything was just out of control. One of the guys I used to uhm…how do I put this…see? Yea, requested a lunch date with me. Oh well, lunch is not such a big deal, might as well just do something that I haven’t done in a while.

The Deception of Sin

Do not be misled: “Bad Company corrupts good character!  1Corinthians 15:33
We spent quite an awkward time chatting over lunch, this guy and I. I say awkward because throughout the whole day he was trying to convince me that my beliefs were too extreme, and because of his intellectual reasoning, I was almost convinced that he is right. His conversation also involved a lot of sex which I joined in because I did not really want to be a party pooper, after all, what could help prevent the awkward silences we had. Many Christians get themselves in such uncomfortable positions with the hope that we are capable of transforming the other person yet it often ends up being the other way around. See, there are people who have made a decision regarding their religious beliefs and they commit themselves faithfully to what they decide. That’s how it’s supposed to be with us Christians too. Make the decision to follow God’s commandments and stick to what you decide even though there will always be people trying to convince you otherwise. It’s quite disappointing to see how Christians are easily swayed away by the smooth words and intellect reasoning of a man. Non-believers have made a choice not to believe in God no matter how loud we preach to them, why can’t we as Christians stand up for God no matter how cunningly the world tries to pull us away from our faith? Perhaps it’s because we can’t see Jesus face to face but that’s the whole point of following Him, walking by faith and not by sight. Not everybody wants to see you successful in this journey with the Lord and these are the people you should avoid at all costs! (Why seek ye the living among the dead? Luke 24:5) When you pursue purity and strive to keep your body holy, they still persist on sleeping with you to satisfy their sexual desires! How selfish is that?  When you have a big dream they disparage you and tell you about reality! Well, call me naïve but do you want to know what reality is for a Christian? Reality is the Word of God and if you don’t have the Word of God, you will fall! When I went to Jo’burg I did not carry my bible with me because I wasn’t planning on staying long, and because of that I did not read my Word as much as I usually do, and this caused me to almost fall. 

The Truth about Sin

It was now quite chilly, drizzling, and dark so he had to take me back home to my cousin’s place. When we got in the car we hugged…I told him earlier that I do not kiss before marriage yet he still insisted on kissing me until I eventually kissed him back. Now, I’m not shifting the blame entirely on him because at that moment everything seemed to have evaporated. My relationship with God did not matter; the fact that the Holy Spirit is in and around me did not matter too. I have no respect for any man who can’t respect the standards a woman sets for herself and tries to lure her into sexual sin. The atmosphere was so sinful, it’s as if you could have just touched it and the devil was communicating strongly to me through my mind. A kiss is just a kiss what’s a big deal about a kiss? That’s when deception comes in; little key holes open big doors! I knew what I was doing was not right (The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the Day of Judgment to be punished! 2Peter 2:9). As the devil was communicating through my mind the spirit of the Lord lifted up a standard against him and communicated with me through my heart. You know when the Holy Spirit speaks everything becomes still and it hits you! “Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap!” Galatians 6:7. A snap of a finger, just a snap of your fingers and your destiny can change. Everything that you have worked hard for, the sleepless nights on your knees, the wrecking days when you went without food, all this could be a vain glory of the past because of a moments pleasure! The cost of sin is too much!

Anyone Can Fall

(So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall! 1Corinthians 10:12). You can imagine how devastated I felt when I became vigilant and realised what had just happened. I had promised myself and my King that I will not kiss unless it’s on my wedding day. “When man sins he thinks of the punishment but God thinks of the glory lost!” I’m never getting married; I’m never getting the husband I want. I’m unfaithful, I’m never reaching my destiny, it’s over! These are the thoughts that ran through my mind. We need to realize that when we sin it’s really not about us, it’s about the glory of God in our lives. See, God’s love for you remains unchangeable even if you go around sleeping with every man that comes you way, it is the sin which He can’t stand. If you live your life carrying that sin with you, you automatically can’t stand in God’s presence! How painful it is to be a branch that is thrown away and withers, and cast out, and burned in the fire!  Paul, who had a personal revelation of the Lord, who was so strong in God, who powerfully influenced many lives, also feared that he doesn’t fall. (I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily. 1 Corinthians 15:33). Anybody can fall and I’m not saying this to scare you but to encourage you to never get content with where you are spiritually that you stop seeking God. (In the past, there have been men and women of God who had memorable seasons in their lives; they walked in the glory as their ministries impacted cities and nations. What happened to them? Where are they now? Some continued on their paths, while others simply disappeared from the public eye, never to be heard from ever again. Some lost their ministries because of the sin in their lives; while other simply decided not to continue in them. Guillermo Maldonado)

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. 1 Corinthians 10:13

As somebody who has experienced God’s love, I knew that I could not allow condemnation to rule over me. Yes we make mistakes, we break promises, we fall short of the glory, but does it mean we have to stay there? Certainly not! Christ broke the power of satan on the cross, therefore sin should not hold us down. (For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again! Proverbs 24:16) A fall is not final! (For a true believer, the final spiritual fall is not usually the last. It is often only the door into a life of victory. Nevertheless you can be assured that some lying devil will try its utmost best to remind you of your past failures so that you won’t look with hope into the certain victory that is yours. Steve Gallagher). I don’t know about you, but I’m not going to let anything or anyone ever pull me away from my God! I am desperate to stand in front of God someday and say; “Indeed I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, and I have kept the faith!”

No comments:

Post a Comment