Thursday, 17 May 2012

Praying in tongues? Why is it important!


For the past few days I have been asking God to reveal something that He wants me to write about for my blog. I even prepared five or six topics, in my own understanding and was certain that one of them would come on to my blog today. I was not intending to share it with anybody though, because it was not inspired by the Holy Spirit.

This morning as I prepared to go to campus, like I usually do, I said my prayers. Now prayers sometimes become a routine. Read a scripture, ask for forgiveness, worship and supplicate. Today however, was different. As soon as I opened my mouth to pray, I could only pray in tongues. I wanted to pray in English because there was so much I needed to tell God. I wanted to tell him that I love Him; I wanted to commit my plans to Him so that He would lay His hand upon me and favor me. I wanted to cast out demons; you know there was just so much on my agenda! But I could not pray in English or in my mother tongue, the Holy Spirit just prayed within me for 30min or so!

So this morning, God unexpectedly, gave me something to write about. You see when you pray in your mother tongue and not in the Spirit, you tend to limit God. At times before we utter our prayers, something will always bring doubt in our minds. "Really? Really, really? You really believe that God can do that for you? You really think God can give you that job? That house? That child? That peace? You really think God can deliver you from sexual immorality, fornication? “And then the doubt builds up in our Spirit because our human mind cannot comprehend or fathom the things of God! The Holy Spirit can, that is why it is important to pray in the Spirit at all times, as He leads! Mark 16:17-18 says,

"These signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well"

See when we pray in tongues we are opening the heavenly gates, we are penetrating through  that boundary which our human minds doubt!  I wondered, I don’t understand what I'm saying, but why am I lifting up my hands to you! The Holy Spirit says, because your human mind cannot worship God enough! Your human mind, does not really understand who God is! Your human mind can only worship God with the words it has learnt in the dictionary, in the English class, but the Holy Spirit wants to worship God beyond! Oh my God, why am I jumping and running around in my room when I am busy praying in tongues because I don’t understand what I am saying? That is because the Holy Spirit knows how to praise God. You only know how to dance and sing, but the Spirit of God wants to run around and jump around, break all shackles by praise!  Why Lord, do I hold my pelvic area and hit it so hard when I pray and it seems as if I'm pulling something out? That's because God wants to break all the curses that has been placed upon you through sexual intercourse! God wants to remove that seed of sin, shame, poverty, addiction, an unproductive life, bad luck that was planted inside of you through sexual intercourse! Wow, okay Father, slow down, this is too much for me! Why is it that I cry when I pray in tongues, yet I don’t understand what I'm saying? Because the Holy Spirit wants to intercede on your behalf! Jesus knows your worries, He knows your pain. Jesus knows that you need a job, when you pray in the Spirit; He opens doors for you without you knowing it. The Holy Spirit knows the scars in your life, the bitterness, the UN forgiveness, the doubts, and He wants to pray for your peace! The Holy Spirit knows what have been said against you by your enemies, your enemies who are always wishing for your downfall, your enemies who have cursed you and said you will never go anywhere in life, the Holy Spirit wants to rebuke the enemy through you!
John 14:16 says,
16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be[c] in you.
Jesus has given us His wonderful Spirit which dwells in us. When you pursue the things of the Spirit, you will reap eternal life. When you read more of God's Word, the Holy Spirit gets activated and prays on our behalf because we cannot memorize the whole bible, but the Spirit of God knows exactly who God is and what He desires for our lives. The scripture continues to say,
26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

Praying in tongues is a necessity for every Christian. The bible says that we must pray at all times without ceasing, but how can we do that in our mother tongue? When you pray in tongues, you can pray while working, while cleaning, while, doing your daily activities each day and in that way, you will be praying at all times without ceasing!  I love you my wonderful Holy Spirit, Thank You for being my comforter and my guiding light!

6 comments:

  1. I am inspired everyday by your blog...I know who God is in my life..I have accepted Jesus as my personal Lord and Saviour but yet I feel my /ship with him is not good enough..I sometimes feel and hear Him when he talks to me...but sometimes i feel as if He is far from me..that I have oushed Him away from me...I dnt read my bible evryday like i used..I sometimes even forget to pray....but yet I do talk to him..and i know he listens.....thank youso much for ur blog....i will read it everyday together with my bible..to strengthen my r/ship with God..u r a blessing and may God bless you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, may God bless you! I pray that He will reveal Himself to you each day! Always draw closer to God, and He will draw near to you! God is not finished with you yet, be patient!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen amen. God bless your blog because it has helped with so many questions and I didnt know who to ask and trust about praying in tongues. But I landed on your blog and all the questions were answered. GOD BLESS YOU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi there! I am glad you found help! This is only my experience and I wouldn't want to lead anyone astray with my experience. Always go to the word of God for truth!

      Delete